Sunday, August 26, 2007

APAT Luton event

First off, I know MANY people read my blog, so why not make a comment on a thread? You are allowed you know! lol

Anyway, off to Luton to play in the APAT event and I am drawn in Day 1a. 150 runners, 10000 chips and a 40 minute clock. I have played 2 of these events before, the first one in Newcastle and I was unsure of what to expect as these are aimed at amatuer players. I was more prepared in this respect in my 2nd one in Cardiff (where I was official bubble boy)

My starting table was a good one and only took me a round or two to work out that there were a couple of calling stations, a couple of total rocks and a couple of "in my opinion" players who knew what they were doing(ie could see betting patterns). This was a nice change to a table of calling stations.

I got off to a good start quickly moving to 16000 where I entered a race with AK for 6000 vs a short stack who had 77 and I lost the race. I soon recovered back to 18000 when :

One hand in particular occured. I am on the button with 55 and there are a couple of limpers, I notice one of the rocks (in the BB) look at his cards and really like them, so I limp as well. The SB folds and sure enough the BB makes it 500 (blinds 50 100). All folded to me so I decide to see a flop and hopefully see a 5. Sure enough the flop came 8 5 3. He bets out 1000 and I call. Turn card is a 10. Again he bets out 1000 and again I call. River is a 3. Bad card for me as I do not think he will pay me off for his whole stack now for fear of me having a 3. He bets out 1500 and I make it 5000, after a while he duly calls and turns over KK. So he is now down to 4000 odd.

A little later he enters another pot from UTG with a 500 raise - must be Aces this time I think and I have 7 9 o/s, but with 27000 at the time, I decide to call on the button.
Flop 3 7 9, this time when he bets I raise enough to put him all in, sure enough he calls, sure enough he has AA and he gets no help. Poor lad, I did actually feel a bit sorry for him but he seemed to take it well.

With 4 tables left, I had been open raising with almost any two cards and taking blinds uncontested. I had just had to lay down to 2 re raises when I find KK and open raise again. This time the BB flat calls leaving himself 14000 behind. I know he is shoving on any flop and I know I am calling - even if an Ace hits. Sure enough on a Q high flop he shoves and I call. He has 8 6. I like his play but he really didnt have enough chips to pull it off, and I also actually had a hand!

Managed to climb upto 44000 and with the average for the end of day 1 looking like being 45000 I was more than happy. With 3 tables left, we are playing the last level of the day(2000 4000) and I saw an incredible call (you can make your own mind up as to what "incredible" means). A guy raises to 12000 on the button (he has 54000 back) and the BB moves all in for 42000 more. The origional raiser calls with A 5 o/s! The shove from the BB had 33 and he spiked an Ace. Like I said "Incredible call"

My table is broken as we reach 30 players and I am on the button (sound familiar? lol) and yes my redraw is straight into the BB!

2 hands later I am on the button and have 32500 and face a 15000 (leaving roughly 30k back) raise from someone I know from online Poker (GI-MAC) . I look down to find QQ. In position I would of liked to flat call here, but know I should shove. Shoving means he calls anyway, flat calling I think he pushes on any flop anyway, so whatever I do, the outcome is the same. All the chips are going into the middle, so I push.

He asks how much the re raise is, and after some deliberation he makes the call and flips A Q o/s. I cannot find myself in a better position to win a 70K+ pot.

The flop is K x J - not again surely? Yep 10 on the turn seals my fate.

I can remember Carlo Citrone on Sky Poker saying "Poker is a game yes, but it can destroy your soul".

That now makes 5 tourneys I have gone VERY deep and in good position only for the poker gods to say "not this time sunny", so Carlo is spot on and my soul is being destroyed.

I must confess, I lost it a little, not at the table, but afterwards at the bar - hopefully I did not upset too many people.

I will however keep ploughing on, I am still playing the best poker I have ever played and that fianl table appearance with good chips can only be right round the corner right?!?

(Dont forget readers, you CAN make comments you know! lol)

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Gordon admitted to me that he over-raised (a mistake) with his AQ and then had to call for the odds..20,000 to win 52,000 once you had pushed.....unlucky. It will come. Next time I will bring my earmuffs lol

4:14 AM  
Blogger M3boy's Poker Blog said...

I totally understand Gordon had to call.
Good luck to him today, I really hope he wins.

5:50 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Unlucky M3 (bet you hate hearing that), but a big result is only around the corner for you.

6:06 AM  
Blogger M3boy's Poker Blog said...

Thanks Des

We will see

6:33 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home