Wednesday, August 16, 2006

Poker after the WSOP main event

Having taken 2 days off from poker, following my exit from the WSOP main event. I had been told of the $1000 MTT's at the Belagio and thought I would give these a bash.

I turn up at the Belagio and play a STT for $240 (with a $60 saver for 3rd) as 2 tickets to the $1000 were on offer, but what a crap shoot. 1500 chips and 10 minute levels, I found myself having to go all in with 99 and was beaten by JJ.

So off to the cage to buy into the $1000.

5000 chips with a 40 minute clock and a good structure meant for plenty of play.

I got off to a good start, doubling my stack quite early on.

With 169 entrants and 18 being paid with 1st getting neally $60,000 I was looking foward to a nice pay day.

With 27 left I suffered a huge blow when my overpair ran into someone who hit a set on the river and I found myself short stacked with the BB on me in two hands.
Very next hand I pick up AA and shove all in - got called by 33 and survived.
Manage to increase my stack to just over average and with 18 left was in the money - allbeit basically your buyin back + a bit. The difference from 18th to 10th was $600 from memory.

Down to 14 left and still with over average stack, when I was BB, the UTG (who also had over average stack, just more than me) kept moving all in.
I had passed A10, 55, KQ, 44
The 5th time running he did the same again - he did not play any other hand, not even his BB. The only play he had was "all in" under the gun - which happened to be my big blind.
So after 5 times, I was getting a little annoyed to say the least.
"I will let you have this one more, but DONT do it again"
Well the 6th time came, and again he goes "all in" It is folded round to me and I find AQ (Both black), now normally I would still fold, feeling that with over average stack, I had plenty of play left. BUT this was now the 6th time running he had done this. So I called.
Now playing for a big pot (3rd in chips) he turns over KQ (both black)
How good do you want it? He had 3 K's to hit and one possible 4 card flush.
Flop came 3 diamonds , turn was another diamond, so he now only had 2k's he could hit as the Kd would give a split pot.
Then BANG - the river comes and he hits one of the two remaining Kings and my tourney was over.
Had I of won that pot, I was confident of making top 3 (if not winning it).
Still $1800 but was a little disapointed to say the least.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home